Monday 15 September 2014

Home-made Strawberry Jam & Super Simple Scones!

Simply Short n Sweet describes me to a tee! I LOVE love love anything that requires minimal effort and time ... especially in the kitchen. I am not a lover of cooking but I do have an insatiable sweet tooth and find myself looking for home-made quick fixes all the time.

This easy-peasy scone recipe is one of those! I found it on Taste and tweaked it just a bit.

Here are the instructions ...

You will need:

Self raising flour
Cream
Lemonade

1. Preheat your oven to 160 degrees celsius.
2. Combine 3 1/2 cups of self raising flour, 1 cup of cream and 1 cup of lemonade. (You can also make your own self-raising flour by combining 1 cup of plain flour with 2 teaspoons of baking powder.)
3. Knead into a dough.
4. Roll out to about 1cm thick and cut into circles. (If you don't have a rolling pin, like me, then simple find something smooth and round like a wine bottle ... and if you don't have circular cookie cutters, like me, then try using the top of a glass)
5. Place onto a lined tray and bake for 15 minutes.

And you can't have scones without jam and cream, but did you ever realise how ridiculously simple it is to make your own fresh strawberry jam??? Since sharing my scone recipe with my family they have all been baking their own scones like they are going out of fashion, so I thought I would try my hand at making strawberry jam as my dad's father's day gift this year. YUM!


Here are the instructions ...

You will need:

4 cups Fresh strawberries
4 cups Castor sugar
1/4 cup Lemon juice
Sterile mason jar

1. Combine equal parts fresh strawberries and castor sugar in a pan. (I was a bit shocked at how much sugar went into jam so I probably only added about 3/4 and it still tasted great.)
2. Use a potato masher to crush the strawberries.
3. Stir over a low heat until the sugar is dissolved, then bring to the boil, stirring continuously.
4. Stir through lemon juice and allow to cool.
5. Transfer to a mason jar.

P.S if you plan to store this in the pantry you'll need to seal the jar, but if using it right away then just pop it in the fridge and it should keep for up to 12months. ENJOY!

1 comment:

  1. I can vouch for both the scones recipe, and the jam (as a taster)! Delicious!!! :)

    ReplyDelete